Monday, April 20, 2009

The Smith's Go To The Movies

I've been waiting for a good family movie to come out and coincide a rainy Saturday with no plans so we could utilize some movie passes that have been burning a hole in my pocket. And finally this Sat. the trifecta occurred. No Plans - check. Rainy - check. Family movie (Monsters vs. Aliens) - check. So we headed out to the show with our two and three year old in tow. The show was at 5:45 so I had planned to eat dinner and then head out the door, but somehow it was 5ish and our turkey and cheese pleasers were still in the oven so we turned them into a to-go meal and had a parking lot picnic (I don't really recommend this) at Northpark before heading into the show. 

I knew Stacey would do great but wasn't so sure about Wyatt, he is starting to sit still for shows but a whole movie - it could really go either way. So to better our chances of making it through we were loaded with popcorn (yes, I brought our own popcorn from home, come on we are poor, I mean cheep, no frugal, yes, that's the word frugal :), fruit snacks, Easter candy and drinks etc. The previews started and simultaneously Stacey's chirping questions of , "Is this our show?" and "When is our show going to start?" began. I defiantly view previews differently with kids in the theater. Normally I love them and enjoy the trailers for upcoming shows as part of my movie going experience, but with my two ticking time bombs sitting next to me all I could think about was "Come on already, you're eating up all of Wyatt's sitting still and watching the screen time and the longer you talk the more likely it is that I will have to exit the theater with Stacey for a potty break."

In good time the movie started and the boys loved it and did great. Well, Wyatt did great for a two year old. He was in and out of his seat and mine and only touched the lady in front of us on the head a handful of times so we're calling it a success. I love watching Stacey cackle at whatever perfectly timed punch line makes him laugh out loud and Wyatt copy him having no idea what he is laughing at. Not sure why I decided to ramble on for three paragraphs (all of which I have no idea when to start and end) about this rather unexceptional outing, but there you have it. 

We give it two thumbs up :)

7 comments:

angie said...

Nice! Ryan has really been wanting to go see a movie(maybe Honey and GP will take him next week!!!) it looks like your boys had a great time:)can't wait to see ya tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! Can't wait to take Cade to the movies.... may be we'll all be waiting and the boys will run in and barrel over the seats to get to the ones in the middle. oh wait, that is our husbands not our children. Although I'm sure they'll follow in their father's footsteps.

Kacey said...

I love the bring your own snack! My favorite date is Chick-fil-A in a movie theater!

The Junods said...

That's awesome! I've never taken Brooks and I can't wait to take them both. Your experience is encouraging. I would have the same concerns! I was a little afraid that the M&A movie might scare Brooks. Was it ok? Totally agree with taking your own snacks, btw. We need to take all 4 boys to the movie this summer! I can't wait for our boys to hang out. Pete and RePete is all we do!

The Junods said...

That's awesome! I've never taken Brooks and I can't wait to take them both. Your experience is encouraging. I would have the same concerns! I was a little afraid that the M&A movie might scare Brooks. Was it ok? Totally agree with taking your own snacks, btw. We need to take all 4 boys to the movie this summer! I can't wait for our boys to hang out. Pete and RePete is all we do!

The Penuels said...

That looks like so much fun!! I am glad you got some pictures :)

Stacey said...

Way to go! I love that you took your own snacks (and the cute popcorn containers too boot!). I'm impressed your boys did so well.

Bennett can't manage more than about 20 minutes of screen time right now. He thinks he want more but gets bored and wanders off.