Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Can You Dig It??


For weeks whenever Wyatt saw any sort of earth mover, dump truck or construction equipment of any kind he'd say, "That's mine, dats for my struction party." And on Sat., although no real equipment was present, WPS Construction opened the job site and welcomed the work crew for his much anticipated "struction" party.

Don't mind my reflection in the glass. ;)
Brace yourself, not sure if I was inspired by my new camera or the party blogs I've been reading, but I've included more pictures and details than probably any previous post.

The sign in table
Everyone got a tool belt and a personalized hard hat.



We set up the food and kids tables in the pool house, or construction trailer.The ping pong table covered in houndstooth wrapping paper was the perfect spot for the munchies.



I've been looking for an excuse to make these little paper cones and finally had one!! They are super easy and make a great little snack holder.
We have a little half bath in the pool house so naturally it became a port-a- potty - HA!


Stacey has brought home discarded plans in the past and the boys love to use them as coloring pages. He gathered a few more sets and I hung them around the "trailer"and used them for table coverings and rolled them up in orange buckets for decorations too.

The kids table complete with cone cups.
Nannie, my mother-in-law made this AMAZING cake!! It was huge and as usual she completely outdid herself!! The rocks are edible chocolate, you can see a little Wyatt hand snagging one in this picture...he wasn't alone.

The birthday boy LOVED it!
This is a random picture, but I wanted to include my barricade. We snagged this out of one of our neighbors bulk trash piles and spray painted it orange and white. It was my first official dumpster dive and I was pretty proud of how it turned out.
We did lots of snacking,

but the main activities were riding/hauling,
digging (there were little treasures buried in the sand),
The sand was SUCH a hit!!
posing,
nailing (the "bricks" were styrofoam and the "nails" were golf T's),
painting (I was going to let them paint card board boxes but Debbie hooked us up with this perfect house!),


and finally, smashing a pinata! Wyatt's big request for his bertday was a truck "yata".
Lots of loot.
The favors.
They included a candy bar, measuring tape and these little build and grow construction sets that my Mom found and contributed! They make a little car and garage.
The forecast called for an 80% chance of rain and the boys were coming off of a little bug. But thankfully the rain held off during the party and the boys were fever free so we were able to celebrate without interruption - phew!
The Smith's
The Purdy's
We always feel so blessed to get to have our family all together for special days like these! And we couldn't do it without them. I already bragged on Debbie for the cake and house but Big also managed to find and borrow 50 perfect orange cones for the party - hello - did I win the in-law lottery or what! While my Waco posse brought tables and chairs as well as tents so we wouldn't have to shut things down if the rain had decided to join us.

And while I am giving what I now realize sounds like an acceptance speech (Angie I feel you) I do have to give a big shout out to my husband who doesn't even skip a beat when I suggest we fill the backyard with sand! I won't demasculinize him by calling him Martin Stewart, but I will say he is always up for a good party and isn't afraid to join me in crazy town from time to time while I plot and plan our next event.
Now that the party is over Wyatt informed me that for his next "bertday" he would like a Spongebob Max and Ruby Superhero party - sounds cute doesn't it? (that is written in sarcasm font just in case you were wondering)!
We had so much fun celebrating we're a little sad it's over. But the boys have been playing in the sand every night since and I am sure that house is going to need another coat of paint very soon. ;)

45 comments:

Ashley Hall said...

Oh Caryn! I can dig it! I have been waiting for the pics of the "struction party." And you outdid yourself of course. I have to remember this and steal your ideas for baby Graham later on. Awesome party and I am glad you showed all of the incredible details!!

Shannon said...

I love it that once again, I was there to be a part of another Caryn masterpiece! (even though a party foul took place and the Brown clan showed up 30 minutes early!) Brad and I both agree that you could CHARGE MEGA BUCKS for your ideas! I mean, you have a gift sweet friend! I love you and am so thankful that we will always get to be part of the party! (until they are too old for decorations..ahem...Landon Paul Brown and only have 3 friends come over!) IT WAS INCREDIBLE!

Chrys and Mike said...

oh my. you are amazing. AH-MAZING. it's out of my sphere of comprehension, really. i'm in awe.

happy birthday, baby boy.

chrys

Woodbury Family said...

I love all the pictures Caryn!! You are such an awesome party planner - those boys are so lucky :) We are going to miss ya'll so much I can't even think about it right now ;)

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh Caryn - it is so adorable!!! I'm glad Wyatt had a great birthday!!!

The Penuels said...

Caryn!! Cutest party ever!! I am so sad that I had to miss, but David & Chapman had a BLAST!!! Chap came in wearing his toolbelt sipping from his cone sippy cup. He was happy as a clam! Precious!! So glad I got to see pictures!!

The Junods said...

Yes, I can so dig it! Unreal...so wish my boys could have been there. What fun for you to plan. Wyatt looks adorable in his shirt. All the details were perfect. All the stations and that CAKE that Nannie made. Don't ever leave out pictures...there are never too many. What a fun time.

shannonmichaelis said...

I am trying to remember all the thoughts that came to mind as I was reading this:

We too are obsessed with Max and Ruby. Justin talks about who he is going to invite to his 4th bday (in 4 months), at least once a week.

Martin Stewart - roaring on that one! Go Stace for being such a chipper skipper on these events.

That cake - who did I miss that the MIL had this skill?

Love the sand, the wreath (oh my word - I love it!), the sign in table with the book, etc.

Fun fun fun - every boys' dream to have a party like that! And love all the matchiness of the fam in the 4-some photo - I notice thingws like that! Good color on you....

Nicki W. said...

HOLY COW! ok caryn, this one takes the cake! you waaaaaay outdid yourself! wow! i am putting this one on my blog asap! and i bet a ton of people want to feature it. you purdy girls. you gals are just little balls of creativity! LOVED this party!

Katy said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! i looooooooooooove thiiiiiiiissssssss!!!!!! Caryn, this is one of my favorites so far from your repoitoire of parties. I mean, awesome. I want to plan a boy party!!!!!!!!!

beginning with the wreath, it was just all so adorable. your pool house was perfect, and nannie outdid herself with that cake! you're scoring major points with your thrifty friend for your dumpster dive action!! hehe

wonderful job===you are the best mommy to your boys, and i hope you let me steal this one day! :)

angie said...

Yay! Such a great par-Tay sista! Every single detail was just perfect. You really do have a creative party gift and my kids had an absolute blast!!!
I love the acceptance speach too. And I love you!!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

This party knocks my socks off. And let me say that the ping-pong table is GENIUS. Perfect backdrop and size! Love it!
Also, love that you used the electrical cord wreath idea. I did that in January for a honey-do shower with a green cord and it was the hit of the party. It looks great in orange! Did it take you an hour like it took me to thread it? LOL.

Belly Feathers said...

I saw your party on Simply Creative Insanity today, and I absolutely love the extension cord wreath and the wreaking ball oranges. So cute!!!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

Ha! I am honored that you got the idea from me! :)
Yours turned out adorably!

Team Leslie said...

Ditto to all these comments. You are so talented. Every little detail was so creative - wow! Looks like Wyatt had a blast!

MLP said...

I CAN DIG IT!!!!!!!!! Completely and totally amazing! What memories your boys are going to have! SOOOOOOOOO fun, Caryn!!!

By the way, would you please invite my kids to the Spongebob Max & Ruby party? They would be all over that!!!!!!!!!!!

Jillian said...

I love your party! It's awesome! I'm founder of a new site called www.catchmyparty.com. I'd love to feature your party on our homepage in our Party of the Day. Please email me at jillian@catchmyparty if interested. Thanks.

Again, great job!

Sandi said...

this is such a great party! i love all the activities you had. they must have loved it!! those cone cups are amazing!!

Nana Papel Criativo said...

Oooh!!!!!!! I`ve never seen a party as beatiful as this!

What do you think of coming to Brazil to make a party like this 4 me? :)

Nana Papel Criativo said...

Oooh!!!!!!! I`ve never seen a party as beatiful as this!

What do you think of coming to Brazil to make a party like this 4 me? :)

Tiffany said...

I am loving this party and think my readers will too! Do you mind if I feature it on my Boy Mom Blog??
www.pedicurestopuddles.blogspot.com
Tiffany
pedicurestopuddles@yahoo.com

from A to Z said...

I love this "struction" party! You did a fabulous job. I love all of the special details! I am planning a struction party and wonder where you found the cone cups!????

Caryn said...

The cone cups were from birthdayexpress.com :)

the mackeys said...

how did you make the wreath. i know ts a extension cord but what is the base?

Happygirl264 said...

Hi There! You are amazing! I just found your blog, very talented lady!! I am having a "Big Truck" (as he likes to say) theme for my son 2nd birthday on 4/9. I LOVE your sand pile, about how much sand did you purchase for that pile? Thank you so much!!

maggiewinn said...

This is the perfect party that I have been searching for. Great ideas! I am planning my son's 3rd birthday in three weeks. I was wondering where you had your invitations and buffet signs printed. I love the shirt he wore. Did you find it on ETSY. I cannot wait to have my son's construction party. I am going to borrow some of those ideas. Love it! Thanks. If you can share some of your info about the paper goods and clothing you can email me at maggiewinn@yahoo.com. Thank you again!

Amanda F said...

Hey Caryn! I am doing a "Dig it" birthday party for my 3 yr old son in a few weeks. I LOVE your ideas and may copy some :). Where did you get the buffet labels & the shirt? I know you are busy but if you get time please email me at aferguson26@hotmail.com

Thank you so much!
Amanda

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing all your ideas. It looks like everyone had a blast. We can't wait to use some of these ideas for our son's 3rd birthday.

David and Bethany said...

Wow! This makes me SO excited for my son's "digger" party this fall. Thanks for all your detailed pictures! So, so fun! Don't you just love little boys?

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love that number three sign on the welcome table. Where did you get it?

Kim said...

I was wondering where you got that number 3 sign, too! So many wonderful parts to this party, but that one stood out to me for some reason!!

Caryn said...

The number signs were bought a few years ago for a wall in my boys' bedroom. They were from Bombay Kids, but it's no longer in business :(

Shana said...

Wow! This is amazing, very impressed!! Can you tell me where you found the trucks that you used in the cake? What brand are they? My son would LOVE this party!

Tonya said...

Im doing a construction party for my sons birthday saturday but I cant find the aprons..where did you get the aprons from?

Vaibhav said...

Thanks for the ideas. There's always something new to learn and improve on in this mad internet world. Uptiming is surely something to keep an eye on. construction equipment

Alyssa said...

Where did you get the children's hard hats?

Unknown said...

I just came across your website, and was wondering if you could give me a supply list on the under construction party them you have pictures of. My son is a big construction fan and is wanting his birthday done in such theme. I love the main table and those cute cone drinking cups..

Jamie said...

Love the party! Where did you get the sign in book from? Did you customize it or is it a generic book?

How much sand did it take to make that pile?

Thanks!
Jamie
Jmiranda0509@aol.com

nannersp said...

This looks like it was an awesome party! Where did you find the cute photo scene, where they stuck their faces in? So cute! I would love to know!

ktlady119 said...

AWESOME PARTY!! I'm doing a construction theme for my son's 3rd birthday in a few weeks! What kind of book did you use for the sign in table?? And I can't find little tape measures for favors..where did you find yours?? Thanks!

ktlynne119@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Where did u get the invitations? Email me pink.berry(at)att(dot)net

Erin said...

SUPER DUPER FUN! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful party! You had so many wonderful details. I used it as inspiration for my son's "Digger" party.
Erin @ thecorrystory.com

Unknown said...

Great looking party! How much sand was in that big pile? Trying to figure out how much to order. Thanks for great ideas!!!

Free Career Guide said...

Welcome To Online Shopping Lucky Winner, ELIGIBILITY FOR PARTICIPATION, If you are an individual legal resident India and are 18 or older at the time of entry, you are eligible to enter the Sweepstakes. Our employees, their immediate family members (spouses, domestic partners, parents, grandparents, siblings, children and grandchildren), and our affiliates, advisors or advertising/promotion agencies (and their immediate family members) are not eligible to enter the Sweepstakes.

Village Talkies said...

Thank you for your informative post!!!
Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.